Wednesday, March 1, 2023

You May Have Noticed

"You May Have Noticed"

        So many more times than once in a while, I have been privy to a conscientious objector offering me their steadfast advice about how they just can’t stand listening to or watching the daily news. They also offer how it just plain unnerves them to hear about how bad things are out there in the world.
        It so reminds me of the story I heard way back in grammar school. It was a simple story of what most ostriches do when they are the slightest bit disturbed or unnerved. This popular metaphor is believed to have originated with observations of ostriches that appear to bury their heads in the sand to avoid predators. Some people think this behavior results from the fact that ostriches are so stupid that they believe burying their heads will make them invisible to predators. (In reality, the observed behavior is a myth.)


        And one more thing from back during my days in grammar school: It was my mom telling me how safe she always felt when my dad was around. My dad and I had the very same feelings about mom. Both he and she faced life’s destiny with eyes wide open. Their heads were never in the ground. (Although they did show some nervousness from time to time—especially when I was pitching for our team.)
Harvey Kalmenson

No comments:

Post a Comment